Gordon Nelson anonymous Chris Johnson Dammy Olubokun
Sam Ross Dave Sheppard Bart Burgmans Ricardo Garcia
Pejman Taghavi Armand Guri


Scored goals:

  1. Pejman Taghavi
  2. Ricardo Garcia
  3. Dammy Olubokun


Partisan made their way to the astro-turfed surface of Horny Mecholupy to face Molly Malones on what turned out to be a perfect night for football. After a week of mixed weather no one knew whether to expect 30 degree temperatures or a tropical storm As it turned out it stayed cool, cloudy and dry! Success! With the summer holiday season well and truly upon us, Partisan lined up with 3 players making their competitive debuts in Baker (goalkeeper), Nelson (right back) and Garcia (left mid). The game got underway and the tempo was fast and furious straight from the whistle. Partisan were trying to get the ball down on the ground and pass it around although were being closed down quickly by a tenacious Irish. The first 15 minutes was battled out in the middle of the field with neither team making any clear cut chances, although both making their presence felt with a number of crunching tackles. Malones were first to make the breakthrough. A free kick from the half way line was drifted high into the box, Baker came to collect the high ball and was challenged in what seemed to be a style reminiscent of the 1970's where it was completely acceptable to barge goalkeepers into the net. However, the referee, who was most likely in his prime in the early 70's, deemed the challenge on the keeper fair and the Molly's striker was left to slot the loose ball into the net. 1-0. To add injury to insult, Sheppard climbed to head clear a loose ball from a Molly's corner only to receive a boot in the face courtesy of a challenging Molly's forward. The referee this time awarded the free kick; however, didn't believe that the assault merited a warning or a card. Should he have, the offending striker would have been dismissed as he had already been booked for a late tackle early on. The game at this point was still being played at a high tempo with some good football and a few efforts on goal from Guri and Taghavi. Sheppard also saw a freekick from the edge of the box fizz narrowly wide of the left hand post. Meanwhile, the Partisan central defensive partnership of Johnston and Ostrowski was water tight with Molly's seeing very little of the Partisan goal. After 30 mins the first substitutions were made with Nelson and Ross being replaced by Lemke and Matthews. Partisan managed to pull a goal back just before the break with some good work down the left flank by Garcia which saw his deflected shot fall at the feet of Taghavi who was able drill home past the Molly's keeper from a tight angle. 1-1! Half Time: Partisan 1 - 1 Mollys After an inspirational Sheppard half time team talk, Partisan were raring to go and came out in search of some second half goals! Unfortunately, things didn't go immediately to plan. A Molly's forward found himself clear through the middle with a one-on-one with Partisan keeper Baker. The Molly's forward managed to tip the ball past the advancing keeper and was caught late. Penalty and goal Molly's. 2-1. It wasn't long before Partisan leveled things up for a second time. This time Guri latched onto a loose ball from a Molly's clearance to cleverly lob the advancing keeper. Game on! 2-2 At this stage Partisan were the much more dominant side creating more opportunities with Matthews causing the Molly's left back a few problems and Garcia unleashing another effort which came off the upright. Partisan were next to take the lead. Some good build up play between Sheppard and Olubokun on the left found Garcia with his back to a Molly's defender at the edge of the 18 yard box. The man from Brazil then pulled a few tricks from his sleeve to turn and beat 2 players then crash the ball home via the post and the goalkeeper! 3-2 Partisan! After 60mins the next set of substitutions were made with Nelson and Ross returning to the field in place of Burgmans and Garcia. Next on the score sheet was Olubokun. After a goal mouth scramble and a number of players attempting to convert the loose ball (Nelson, Matthews), the ball finally fell to Olubokun who slammed into the back of the net past a number of Molly's players and keeper! 4-2 Partisan. Although 4-2 down the game was far from over and Molly's had still not given up Baker's reactions were put to the test from a 25 yard free kick which got up and over the Partisan wall only to be tipped over the bar. From the resulting corner, Nelson was on hand to head clear off of the back post a high curling corner which was goal bound. Molly's also saw a further header from a corner cannon back off the upright. Baker was again called into action where he was fast off his line to beat the advancing Molly's striker to a ball over the top. He then proceeded to continue his solo run to the half way line looking fully committed to going all the way for glory, before regaining his senses and playing the ball on. The final nail in the coffin for Molly's was delivered again by Olubokun who picked the ball up wide on the left and curled a dipping shot-come-crossover the stranded keeper and into the side of the back post netting! A goal that even Ronaldinho would have been proud of. Final Score 5-2 Partisan! Overall an excellent team performance and well deserved victory for Partisan against a battling Molly's side.