Scored goals:

  1. Simon Orr


IFC made a strong start, taking a grip of midfield and applying pressure down the left side of the park. IFC squandered a couple of half chances. One rare attack from Partisan came to an end with Lembo clutching his knee in agony. Surely hes got to see a doctor now. Mats Landgren came on for the Argentinian, but it made little difference to the flow of the game with IFC winning a run of corners. From one, Partisan failed to clear the ball and IFC scrambled it home to take the lead. On a high from the goal IFC forced some splendid saves from Polishchuk, and from a further corner, hit the cross-bar. Their next attack ended by a crunching tackle from Appel. This led to a sweeping move with a ball over the top giving Orr a run at the goal. Or so the crowd thought, until a cynical foul from the IFC defender, who was lucky to receive just a yellow card. Campbell (making a busy return after missing our previous 4 games all wins I might add! - Gerry) and Andress (playing at full-back as punishment for a late night drinking offence!?!) ran across to have their say, but were restrained by their team-mates. As the temperature rose, Partisan began to take control of the midfield, with Orr and Karlsson increasingly finding space up front. At last, a quick through ball from Andress, Orr (who else?) with a sight off goal. Ball in the back of the net. 1-1. A few moments later Orr clear again, slides the ball across the penalty area for Karlsson, ball tucked away. Celebrations quickly ended by the referee calling the play back for offside. However, Partisan were on top. Some sweet passing moves, a long range shot from Harris narrowly over. Finally another ball over the top from Appel was met by Orr in a seemingly dead end on the left side of the penalty box, but a neat bit of pace later and the balls in the net. 2-1. IFC, expecting an easy win, became increasingly unhappy. A few rash tackles and a bit of foul temper. Joe strolls up from the back to have a word with the ref, but the ref pretends not to understand. Lucky really! But the ref blows for half-time to cool tempers. During the interval, there were no oranges - only encouraging words from Holton, standing in as coach. The team came out firing on all cylinders, and very soon had the ball in the back of the net again. Only for the referee to disallow again for offside. IFC finally manage to put a couple of passes together, put a player through (who looked off-side to the crowd), crossed ball to the centre-forward who mis-kicks the ball towards goal. Unfortunately Joe, who's covering the shot, slips and ends up handling the ball (I think he admitted afterwards that it was done deliberately Gerry) to prevent it going into the net. Penalty. Anton given no chance, 2-2. Into the last quarter, and Partisan well on top. Defence looks solid, midfield combative, and forwards slick, despite Orr getting it in the family jewels and having to come off. Some confusion with Wein ending up in alien territory as a forward and Harris as left-back. Nevertheless we had more chances. Cross from the left, Josh heads narrowly wide. Another attack, shot cleared for a corner. From the corner, a goal-mouth scramble, and... somehow the ball is cleared for another corner. And then the final whistle, 10 minutes early with Partisan well on top. A very sound performance, a good team spirit and encouraging for 2004.